The Fellowships are for postdoctoral candidates wishing to relocate to Ireland, establish a more permanent base here or return after working overseas. Therefore, at the time of recruitment defined for the call (from 31st January 2019), researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Ireland for more than 12 months in the previous 3 years. The deadline for 3rd call applicants is 1st November 2018, 23:59h.
We welcome applications from candidates who have had career breaks and are looking to return to a research-based career and from candidates who have had a non-traditional career path including those who have built up research experience but who may not have a PhD (see Eligibility Criteria).
The Fellowships are available in one of three ICT driven Research Themes. Awards will be made at three experience Levels with associated compensation. Each Fellowship on Call 3 is 24 months. We also invite applicants from difficult situations to contact us, as we do not want your personal circumstances to prevent you from applying – please see our page on Researchers at Risk.
Full details on the open call can be found in the following links
Fellowship Award Levels
Three levels are possible depending on years of full-time research experience. Compensation and allowances are linked to the level.
Level 1 Research Fellow
Candidates with less than 4 years’ post-PhD (or equivalent) experience.
Level 2 Research Fellow
Candidates with 4 or more years’ post-PhD (or equivalent) experience.
Level 3 Research Fellow
Candidates with 6 or more years’ post-PhD (or equivalent) experience.
Applicants are required to submit a research project proposal which fall within one of the EDGE programme’s themes below.
Prospective candidates should choose the most appropriate sub-field listed under these themes, which will direct you towards a suitable Supervisor. Some Supervisors have listed more specific topics they invite proposals for; however you are free to develop the research proposal in your selected field. If no supervisor is listed on this site, please contact email@example.com and we will try to match you to a suitable research lead.
Future Networks & Communications
- Creative Practices in ICT
- Internet-of-Things Networking
- Network Security and Privacy
- Machine Learning and AI in Communication Systems
- Low-power Components and Systems
- Energy Harvesting and Storage Devices
- Electrochemical Sensor Devices
- Sensor Networks
- RF Circuitry & Design
- Network Management
- Economics Policy, Regulation & Governance of Communications Networks
- Modelling of Shared Networks
- mmWave Networks
- Ultra-Dense Networks
- Low-latency Signal Processing and Coding
- Programmable RF for Wideband Systems
- Advanced Power Amplifiers
- Converged Wireless-Optical Networks for C-RANs
- Software & Cognitive Radio
- Optical X-Haul Technologies
- Mobile EDGE Computing
- Vehicle-2-Vehicle Networking
- Communication in Nano-Bio Networks
Digital Content & Media Technologies
- Computational Semantics
- Sentiment Analysis
- Cross Domain / Media / Language Analytics
- Data Protection & Ethics
- Data Quality
- Data Value
- Semantic Data Mappings
- Speech, Image and Video Processing
- Statistical Machine Translation
- Neural Machine Translation
- Automation Evaluation
- Context-aware Adaptivity
- Explorative Search
- User Awareness and Control
- Neural Dialogue Adaptation
- Engaging 3D Characters
Advanced Materials & BioEngineering
- Tissue Engineering
- Biomaterials and Bio-Printing
- Nanovaccines and Immune Response
- Therapeutic and Theranostic Materials
- Advanced Photonic Materials
- Nanothermal Characteristics of Materials
- Polymer Self-Assembly
- Materials for Energy Applications
- Magnetic Materials
- Additive Manufacturing
- 2D Materials and Devices
- Materials Modelling and Simulation