The Fellowships are for postdoctoral candidates wishing to relocate to Ireland, establish a more permanent base here or return after working overseas. Therefore, at the time of recruitment defined for the call, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Ireland for more than 12 months in the previous 3 years.
We welcome applications from candidates who have had career breaks and are looking to return to a research-based career and from candidates who have had a non-traditional career path including those who have built up research experience but who may not have a PhD (see Eligibility Criteria).
The Fellowships are available in one of three ICT driven Research Themes. Awards will be made at three experience Levels with associated compensation. Each Fellowship on Call 2 is 24 months.
Fellowship Award Levels
Three levels are possible depending on years of full-time research experience. Compensation and allowances are linked to the level.
Level 1 Research Fellow
Candidates with less than 4 years’ post-PhD (or equivalent) experience.
Level 2 Research Fellow
Candidates with 4 or more years’ post-PhD (or equivalent) experience.
Level 3 Research Fellow
Candidates with 6 or more years’ post-PhD (or equivalent) experience.
Applicants are required to submit a research project proposal which fall within one of the EDGE programme’s themes below.
Prospective candidates should choose the most appropriate sub-field listed under these themes, which will direct you towards a suitable Supervisor. Some Supervisors have listed more specific topics they invite proposals for; however you are free to develop the research proposal in your selected field.
Advanced Materials & BioEngineering
- 2D Materials
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Bioengineering & Therapeutics
- Networks & Interfaces in Physical Materials
- Theory & Modelling
- Membrane Science
- New Materials & Processes for ICT
- Self-assembly & Surface Patterning
- Polymer Materials
- Toxicology & Nanosafety
- Advanced Materials for Photonics
Digital Content & Media Technologies
- Artificial Intelligence Techniques in Digital Media
- Natural Language Processing & Social Media Analysis
- Personalisation & Adaptive Web
- Localisation & Machine Translation
- Linked Data Management & Mapping
- Recommendation Systems & Machine Learning
- Data Protection & Policy Based Management
- Data Privacy & Ethics
- Multimodal Interaction
- Graphics for Facial Animation & Perception
- Search & Information Retrieval
- Speech Analysis & Understanding
- Image & Video Processing
Future Networks & Communications
- Communication Systems
- Software & Cognitive Radio
- Wireless & Optical Networks
- RF Design & Antennas
- 5G & Beyond 5G
- Sensors & Sensor Networks
- Photonics for Communication Devices
- Thermal Management
- Security & Privacy
- Microelectronics for Communications
- Network Management
- Creative Practices for Future Networks & Communications
- Economics, Policy & Regulation for Communications
- Signal Processing for Communications